Monday, June 3, 2013

Monthly TOEFL Essay #2


Hardly can you imagine this world changing. Everything would seem to be so “of course”. However, life is always a change and we will face another change soon. Then, what would be some changes that will occur in 21st century? In my opinion, common marriage custom of marrying one person in a lifetime would change to marrying more than one person as your will; need and willing of the people to study and learn delicate skills would be more intensified.



To start with, marrying more than one person in the lifetime would be expected as common custom instead of marrying only one person. In modern society, majority of the cultures have custom of marrying one person in one life. Unless the partner has died or they have trouble with the partner’s relationship, majority of the people maintain their relationships with the partner for their entire life. However, as medicine technology develops, I think by the end of the 21st century, people will be able to live for more than 100 years. I think, as now, living for average 70 years and living with one partner for about 40 years is quiet fair. But if the life span is extended, living with one partner for more than 70 years might be quiet boring. Just the marriage customs have changes from the ancient times when people marry at a very young age to now that people marry later and later, I suspect that maybe marrying custom would again gradually change to those that allow and permit more than one marriage in life. Furthermore, I imagine that this kind of custom would be regulated as laws to prevent many fundamental troublesome relationships in the family units. More specifically, there would be trials or choices between the couple once in 30 or 40 years to “live or leave”. This kind of regulations and customs would allow much more free relationship between married couple but also might bring side effects of viewing the relationship as something so easy.

Secondly, there would be only jobs that require delicate skills of the human such as artists, professors. Nowadays, there are some jobs that don’t require people to have high degree of knowledge or skills. Uneducated people can use their labor to earn money. However in the future, those labor forces that require less delicate skills such as clerk, factory-worker, street cleaner, secretaries with simple works will entirely be replaced by the robots or computers. Then, with these cheap and meticulous forces, human will only have the leftover jobs that are limited to only human ability. For example, the artists who express human emotions, studies dealing with humanities, languages which cannot be simply stated and studied cannot be substituted by those computer forces. So, imagining the future view, I think I would see only artists, musicians, doctors, humanity professors, psychologists, engineers who have control over the robot forces etc. If this change occurs, people would have to work harder to find a way to get those jobs, and they have to work harder to do so. To be more specific, the rate of university attendance might raised to higher than 90%, and the competition for the job will be much more severe since there will be so many highly educated people. Meanwhile, those who are unfortunately uneducated or not provided with such artistic gifts might fall into deep frustration that they would not be able to go on in that competition with the other people and the robots.

In conclusion, I suspect that there would be two major changes in this upcoming 100 years. Marrying more than one person in a life would be common marriage custom and only jobs that require high skills, knowledge or artistic gifts would be left over for the human and thus people would have to work harder to survive. These changes may seem to be little awkward and unreasonable now. But who in 1900s would have suspected lives like this? Life always changes and no one knows that this really can be the future by 2100.





.

5 comments:

  1. Nice essay :)
    Your essay was overall very unique.
    It was interesting to list marrying more than one person as a change in the 21st century!
    I've never thought so before, but after reading your essay, I found your points quite supporting.
    Your second choice was interesting, too.
    A lot of students wrote down in their essay that people will become lazy with the development of technology, whereas you asserted that the need and willing of the people to study and learn delicate skills would be more intensified.

    Overall, I liked your essay because it had unique ideas but also strong supporting details.

    However, since it's a "TOEFL" essay, maybe it might be better to 'take out' some imagination out of your writing. The changes you listed are interesting, but they have a lot to discuss about.

    I enjoyed your essay very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment!

      Thank you for praising me for being unique and creative.
      I adimit that there are many points that I have to improve too.
      As you said, since it is a TOEFL essay, I should eliminate some of imaginative elements!

      Again thank you foryour comment!

      Delete
  2. It's a great honor to make a comment of your essay.

    Your first paragraph is really creative and interesting. Actually, in my view, it seems quite hard to bring out the idea of marriage as changes occur in this century. Most people, especially Koreans, have had pessimistic prejudice on second marriage or getting divorced. However, this essay can totally change their views based on concrete and logical reasons.

    However, I personally think that your second paragraph is a bit banal compared to first paragraph. Most ideas in this paragraph have been already made by other professors or experts who study overall future.

    Nevertheless, I really enjoy reading your well-rounded essay and expect that you may write better essays in the next time^^.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment!

      I am glad that I persuade you with my first point!
      As you said, since many Koreans are very prejudied on second marriage, so I might have to improve my logics to more firmly support my point!
      Also, I adimit that my second point is somehow banal. I might have to add some creative aspects to it.

      Again, thank you for your comment :)

      Delete
  3. Liked your essay!

    Well, I like unique stuff, and definitely your reasons were unique!

    The first reason seemed quite appealing- and quite creative. Really, I could't have thought it myself; for one generally thinks inside the conventional terms in most things. Anyway, your supporting details seemed logical, for humans' life span is indeed getting longer. And it would be natural for people to get tired with their spouse, as they are already devorcing lots of the times.

    The second reason was somewhat hard to understand; for, wouldn't there still be politicans and scientists? As the technoloy is developing, some 'people' develop those, don't they? Oh, and no offense, by the way.

    Whatsoever, I enjoyed your article. Merci!

    ReplyDelete