I want to share
a story to which I experienced from my voluntary work in 꽃동네, where I get to volunteer for the disabled from June 19th
to June 20th. I got an injury on my leg and I was doing the cast.
Many friends said that I would not be able to do the voluntary work because of
my broken leg. However, I decided to do the chores because it was my last
chance to attend voluntary work in 꽃동네 with my friends.
Students were
divided into 6 groups and sent to different places. I was sent to a place named
애덕의 집, where mentally retarded women stay. At the
moment I arrive, those grandmas and adjumas
were welcoming me, kissing me on my chick and hugging me so hard. They all had
short hair and nasty clothes. They stared at my cast, and nearly all of them asked
me what happened. Among those people, a grandma named 박점숙, started to cried when I said that my leg hurts. She embarrassed me
so much and she didn’t stop until I said that it doesn’t really hurt. But then,
another grandma came and asked me what happened. She seemed to be very
irritated by 박점숙 crying. I answered that I got injured
while swimming. Then, opposite from 박점숙, she started to
swear at me with hilarious words. I thought that she is such a tough person
with bad personality, but since she is disabled, I thought that I should just
ignore her condition.
However, people
there were not that disabled or retarded, all of them, no exception fo single
one had their own job to do, and they knew what to do. Some did laundry, some
cleaned the room, and some took care of physically uncomfortable friends. Even
the woman who swore at me, and 박점숙, was the same. After
lunch when 박점숙 had spices all over her face, although
swearing, the tough woman carefully wiped out what was on her face.
I was prejudiced
that the disabled cannot do anything by themselves, and through this experience,
I knew that I was wrong.
They are warmer
than anyone, and they can cry for the others, and they know how to help out
others. Although we know more than them, actually they can do more than people
in health conditions.
No comments:
Post a Comment