Describe a custom from your country that you would like
people from other countries to adopt. Explain your choice, using specific
reasons and examples.

In many Western
countries, what do they say when they meet someone older than them? Maybe
nothing more than “How are you”or “Good morning”. But in my country, unless it is someone very
young or very familiar, when you meet someone you have to bow and use honorific.
I would like to introduce this custom, using honorific and bowing, to people
from other countries to adopt, for reasons that it is the essential culture for
Korean and most of other Eastern Asian countries and it does remind the
importance of respecting others.
To start
with, I would like to introduce this honorific and bowing because they are
common custom in Eastern Asia countries, and especially strict in Korea. When
you see Korean parents teaching their children, they really are very strict
about these two things, bowing and using honorific to the elders, and this
makes Koreans to bow and use honorific in daily life without any doubt.
However, the custom of bowing and using honorific exists not only in Korea.
Most of other Eastern Asia countries are used to this custom. This is because
most of Eastern Asian countries have adopted Confucianism which emphasizes
politeness, and manners between people. So, if you get used to these customs, you
can say that you are used to one of the most important and the most common culture
in Eastern Asia. Your trip or life in these countries would be much better and
easy, because people in these countries are very sensitive to and quiet strict
about these customs.
Secondly,
the reason why I want to introduce using honorific and bowing is because I
believe it can remind people about respecting the others in daily life. Bowing
every time seeing someone else is one of the ways of expressing “I respect you” by lowering yourself. Using honorific to the
others is another way of expressing “I respect you” by making the others higher. I believe by doing so, people really can
respect the others. This is also what Confucius said. “Act, then you will become.” Plus, we can see that they
really do respect the others in Korea, especially the elders (well, some of
them don’t), by helping elders hold heavy things or
yielding places for them to sit in public transportations, even though they do
not really know each other. I think that is because they have been taught and
learned through bowing and using honorific in their life to respect the others,
especially the elders. I am not saying that the culture of being “friends” between the elder and younger people is bad,
but if people from other countries learn to bow and to use honorific, then they
can get another opportunity to get used to respecting others.
In conclusion,
since bowing and using honorific is common in not only Korea but also in most
of Eastern Asian countries and they can let people respect the others by acting
so in daily life, I would like to introduce bowing and using horrific to people
from other countries. So, from now on, instead of saying just a simple hello,
why don’t you bow and use honorific to show people you respect them?
Hi! My name is KyuBo Shim (Marshall) and its my honor to be the first one to give you a feedback for your essay.
ReplyDeleteWell, generally its a great essay, effectively reflecting the given prompt. However, as a friend, I do have responsibility to write critical comments for your own improvement.
Comments:
I found 2 defects...
1. In the intorduction, you stated that you would like to introduce the korean custom of bowing and honorific, as (1)they are 'essential' culture of Korea and (2)they remind people of virtue of mutual respect. Thus following 2 paragraphs should be about reason (1) and (2). The second paragraph does not say anything about the Korean custom's necessity.
2. I don't understand why pervasiveness of bowing and honorific in Eastern nations support the prompt. Usually, people want to introduce their cultures because they are unique. Affirming that the culture of bowing and honorific is all over the neighboring eastern nations is not proper rationale. Maybe you can replace it with another reason; the custom makes Korean eminent globally for benevolence.
Except this two points I do like this essay.
Especially the part where you encourage people to bow in the conclusion.
It is 'unique'.
Thank you!
1. Nice hook!
ReplyDelete2. It was hard to understand why the first argument was valid until the very end of the first body paragraph. You stated that bowing should be adopted because it helps people get familiar with the whole Eastern Asia culture, but I didn't know this from the beginning which made me somewhat confused. I think it would be better if you showed the benefits first, so the readers won't feel disoriented.
2.5. Well, not an official point, but do people help the elderly in Korea?
3. The second argument seems, well, less valid. I just get the feeling it has insufficient reasoning. Perhabs you should try explaining the "friend" and hierarchy thing and give more details in the Korea example.
4. Well, the conclusion seems a bit cliched. The call-for-action approach works, but it would be better if you rephrased it. And the part restating the thesis, that could use some rewording, too.
I also think this essay is great. First of all, I agree with Hwang's opinion that it has a nice hook. After I read the hook, this essay intrigued me to read this idea. And the second argument is very clear and effective. You also took care of cultural toadyism.
ReplyDeleteHowever, there is a little problem in the first argument. In my opinion, the first argument is little bit weak for the first argument. I think you should not limit the effect. You said knowing bowing and using honorific will help living in the Eastern countries. However, knowing about Eastern Asian culture will lead much more benefits. You can suggest applying this culture to business or better relationship with East-Asians who live in foreign countries. So, I want to suggest expanding the benefits of knowing the custom. However, this is a really good essay because there are a lot of strong points which could cover the shortage. Thank you!
I like this essay Ellen! :)
ReplyDeleteIt has a nice hook and interesting conclusion.
Maybe it might be better to take out the part (well, some of them don't) because it sounds kind of casual. TOEFL essays are usually quite in format
I'm writing this comment again..!It's gone:(
ReplyDeleteNicely written essay! Ellen:)
It has a good format and I like your conclusion where you sort of recommended the authors to adopt the custom. It's interesting:D
But maybe, in my OPINION, it would be better if your first point is more matching to the topic because the idea that the custom is common in many asian countries doesn't mean other countries should adopt it, too. Or, you can probably put it as one of the examples(not the main point) to show the advantages of adopting the custom. It's JUST my thought:) thank you!!
Thank you for your comments. Overall, I think the points I made are not that relevant to the topic, and they are not valid. I may improve that points in the next essay, and thank you for encouraging me with my 'unique' hook. Thank you :)
ReplyDeleteYour esssay implies that other countries do not exhibit respect to others depending on age, rank, etc. Be careful! In Canada for example, respect is still accorded to elders etc, but it is done in a more subtle way; your essay needs to focus on how you think more overt displays of respect are necessary, and why.
ReplyDeleteI think I missed the point of fully explaining the main difference between other countries and Korea in the way of respcting the elders.
DeleteI didn't mean to say that other countries don't respct the elders.
Sorry.. :(
Thank you for your comment!